NOCO GENIUS10 10-Amp Automatic Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer
NOCO GENIUS10 is a single-bank, 10 Amps max. lead-acid and lithium-ion battery charger and maintainer, with many advanced features including battery analysis, force charging mode, repair charging mode, and similar.
NOCO GENIUS10 is an automatic, multi-phase battery charger, designed not only to charge the batteries, but also to improve their performances and operating life, regardless of the battery type and chemistry.
Published: February 22, 2021.
NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger Features and Specifications
NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger is a fully automatic 6V and 12V battery charger and maintainer, designed to recover, charge and maintain starting, dual-purpose and deep-cycle, wet/flooded, enhanced wet/flooded, Gel-Cell and AGM lead-acid batteries.
Also, thanks to the special lithium-ion battery charging mode, NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger is able to charge even lithium-ion batteries with the built-in Battery Management Systems (BMS).
NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger charging modes include:
- 12V Mode: charging mode intended for charging of wet/flooded, enhanced wet/flooded and Gel-Cell batteries, including maintenance-free batteries with calcium alloyed lead plates.
- 12V AGM Mode: charging mode intended for charging of the AGM batteries.
- 12V Lithium Mode: charging mode intended for charging of the lithium-ion batteries with the built-in BMS.
- 6V Mode: charging mode intended for charging of the 6V wet/flooded, enhanced wet/flooded and Gel-Cell batteries, including maintenance-free batteries with calcium alloyed lead plates.
- 6V AGM Mode: charging mode intended for charging of the 6V AGM batteries.
- Force Mode: charging mode intended for recovering deeply discharged batteries, down to 0 volts.
- 12V Supply: in this mode, NOCO GENIUS10 operates as a 12V DC power source.
- 12V Repair: this mode is used for repairing of old, sulfated, or even damaged lead-acid batteries.
Cycling through charging modes is easy using controls on the front control panel:
Although each charging cycle includes battery analysis and if required, desulphation and other 'maintenance' charging phases, NOCO GENIUS10 allows the user to try to repair deeply discharged batteries, even down to 0 (ZERO!) volts using Force Mode.
Using Force Mode, the battery charger does NOT test or analyze the battery - it simply ignores the battery and tries to kick-start it by sending an electric current. As soon as the battery shows signs of recovery (voltage above 1V), it is highly recommended to continue with the normal charging process that also includes all safety features, including short circuit protection, temperature protection, overcharging, spark-free charging, reverse polarity protection, etc.
In order to accurately charge the battery, NOCO GENIUS10 also includes temperature compensation, thanks to the builtin temperature sensor.
The front control panel also includes Charge Level Indicator:
- first LED flashing red - the battery is less than 25% charged,
- second LED flashing red - the battery is less than 50% charged,
- third LED flashing orange - the battery is less than 75% charged,
- fourth LED flashing green - bulk charging phase completed, the optimization phase extends battery operating life,
- only fourth LED slowly flashing green - battery fully charged; maintenance and optimization phase.
According to the manufacturer, NOCO GENIUS10 is suitable for charging the batteries in the 20-230 Ah range.
Since it charges the batteries with 10 Amps max. (6.66 Ah per hour on average), batteries below 30-40 Ah may have issues accepting the charge that fast. Also, batteries above 140-150 Ah are charged for 10+ hours, which may be impractical.
According to the manufacturer, NOCO GENIUS10 is able to recharge 50% discharged batteries in:
- 20 Ah: 1.5 hours,
- 40 Ah: 3.0 hours,
- 80 Ah: 6.0 hours,
- 100 Ah: 7.5 hours,
- 120 Ah: 9.0 hours,
- 230 Ah: 17.3 hours.
On average, that is 6.66 Ah per hour, effectively.
What's in the Box?
When NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger arrives, the box contains the battery charger, mounting bracket, and straps with self-tapping screws, DC battery cables with clamps (with M10 integrated eyelets), AC cables, and Owner's Manual.
NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger is a rather compact unit, with physical dimensions of 7.1 x 3.6 x 2.3 inches (180 x 92 x 59 mm) and it weighs 3.3 pounds (~1.5 kg).
14 AWG DC battery cables are 77 inches (195 cm) long, while 18 AWG AC cables are 71.7 inches (182 cm) long.
Note: when the unit arrives, despite it being rather easy and intuitive to use and maintain, be sure to read the manual in order to get accustomed to your new battery charger.
Using the NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger
NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger is an excellent automatic battery charger and maintainer.
As a maintainer, it can be used to maintain lead-acid batteries of practically any size.
As a battery charger, personally, it should be used for batteries in 30-130 Ah range, regardless of the battery type (deep-cycle, dual-purpose, starting), chemistry (wet/flooded, Gel-Cell, AGM, lithium), condition, age, etc.
Also, it is a good practice to periodically recharge the batteries that are used in cars, boats, industrial applications, and similar with NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger in order to 'rejuvenate' them - NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger automatically analyze the battery and adjust the charging process according to the battery condition.
Since NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger efficiency is ~87%, it requires ~150 watts AC to charge the batteries - practically any inverter generator with low THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) is able to power NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger while being off-the-grid.
Long Story Short: With acceptable price and available features, NOCO GENIUS10 Battery Charger is one of the most popular 10 Amps battery chargers on the market.
It is a durable and reliable battery charger that comes with a very nice 3-year limited warranty.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check NOCO GENIUS10 10-Amp Automatic Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer Amazon link (link opens in the new window).