DeWalt 18V to 20V MAX Battery Adapter
DeWalt offers a wide range of cordless tools powered by their 18V batteries and 20V MAX batteries, which are not interchangeable.
However, DeWalt also offers an official battery adapter and battery adapter kit, which allows owners of 18V DeWalt tools to power them using excellent DeWalt 20V MAX batteries, simplifying battery management for owners of both Dewalt 18V and DeWalt 20V MAX tools.
Published: August 16, 2022.
DeWalt 18V to 20V MAX Battery Adapter, Model DC1820
DeWalt DC1820 is a rather handy 18V to 20V MAX battery adapter which enables the use of DeWalt 20V MAX batteries in most DeWalt 18V cordless tools, but with few limitations, including:
- The adapter does not work with DeWalt 20V/60V FLEXVOLT Batteries,
- The adapter does not fit in DEWALT 18V Chargers (which is actually good!),
- The adapter requires the use of the Dewalt 20V MAX Chargers (simply remove the DeWalt 20V MAX battery from the adapter and charge it in the DeWalt 20V MAX compatible battery charger),
- Do NOT use DeWalt 18V to 20V MAX battery adapter with the DeWalt Premium Batteries (DCB200, DCB204, DCB204BT, DCB205) in the DeWalt 18V Compact Drills DC970 and DC759. Instead, use DCB201, DCB203, DCB203BT DeWalt 20V MAX batteries.
The DeWalt DC1820 Battery Adapter fits firmly with the battery, ensuring good contact - sometimes, it fits so tightly that it is rather hard to remove.
However, after the use, the adapter must be removed from the battery for two main reasons:
- DeWalt 20V MAX batteries MUST be recharged using DeWalt 20V MAX compatible DeWalt battery charger - and the DeWalt 18V battery charger is NOT compatible with DeWalt 20V MAX batteries.
- DeWalt DC1820 Battery Adapter tends to discharge the connected batteries, even when not in use.
This sounds like a lot of limitations on the DeWalt DCA1820 Battery Adapter, but this is a very popular battery adapter, tried and tested by many owners of older 18V DeWalt tools...
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check the DeWalt DC1820 18V to 20V MAX Battery Adapter Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
DeWalt 18V to 20V MAX Battery Adapter Kit, Model DCA2203C
For people wanting to revive their DeWalt 18V tools but don't want to purchase replacement DeWalt 18V batteries, DeWalt offers an official DeWalt DC2203C 18V to 20V MAX Battery Adapter Kit, consisting of:
- DeWalt DC1820 18V to 20V MAX Battery Adapter,
- 2x DeWalt DCB203 2.0Ah 20V MAX XR Lithium Ion Batteries,
- DeWalt DCB112 12V/20V MAX Battery Charger.
Obviously, all recommendations and limits for the DeWalt DC1820 battery adapter apply to DeWalt DCA2203C Battery Adapter Kit.
But, the DeWalt DCA2203C kit also allows the users of DeWalt 18V tools to make an easier transition to the DeWalt 20V MAX tools set, which consists of 180+ various cordless tools.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check the DeWalt DCA2203C 18V to 20V MAX Battery Adapter Kit Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Long Story Short: DeWalt DCA1820 Battery Adapter and DeWalt DCA2203C Battery Adapter Kit are official DeWalt products, and as used as recommended, they work very well.
Older 18V DeWalt cordless tools based on Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries can be used with newer DeWalt 20V MAX batteries which offer many benefits, including no memory effect, fade-free power, a larger number of charging/discharging cycles, lower self-discharge rate (the battery must be out of DCA1820 adapter), faster charging, and similar - more than enough reasons to transition from older batteries to the newer, having in mind limits imposed by DeWalt regarding the use of DeWalt DCA1820 battery adapter in certain situations.