Outdoors LED Solar Post Lights
Outdoors LED solar post lights are very practical lighting solutions for pathways, doorways, streets, fences, patios, gardens, etc. which combine LED lights, solar panels, rechargeable batteries, and charging controllers in one system.
Outdoor LED solar post lights can be mounted on posts, walls, fences, or any suitable, strong enough surface, that is capable of supporting these lights. Solar post lights come in many sizes with many different options regarding the additional features, making them very popular not only for commercial applications but also for residential use.
Features of Solar Post Lights
Outdoors LED solar post lights generally consists of:
- LED lights,
- solar panel,
- charge/light controller,
- lithium battery,
- mounting hardware.
Note: not all solar post/pole lights come with the post/pole.
LED lights convert electric energy into light, with extra heat being dissipated into the air. The light color is usually white (cold white, warm white - depending on the light "temperature"), although there are other light colors available as well.
LED lights' electric power is usually from few watts to several hundred watts, depending on the intended use - residential LED solar post lights tend to be smaller and mounted on the lower height, while commercial LED solar post lights are stronger and are generally mounted higher.
The solar panel can be integrated with the LED lights, or it may come as a separate unit that can be mounted on the same post or on a nearby suitable surface (roof or wall, for example).
During the day, the solar panel recharges the battery, which is used during the night to operate the LED lights.
The size of the solar panel depends on the LED lights strength and the required length of operation - "dusk to dawn" LED lights require larger solar panels and batteries, while motion sensor LED lights operate only when somebody or something is moving in the range of the sensors and require smaller solar panels and batteries.
Charge/Light controllers are small, usually, MPPT or PWM charge controllers that recharge the battery using energy collected by the solar panels during the day and power LED lights using energy stored in the battery during the night.
Charge/Light controllers also often come with other features like motion sensors, light sensors, remote controller receivers, and similar - with so many units present on the market, options are almost endless.
Lithium batteries store energy collected during the day and provide energy for lights and other functions, if present, during the night.
Lithium batteries are lightweight rechargeable batteries, designed to last at least a few years. The main reason why they don't last longer is not the batteries themselves, but the harsh conditions they operate - hot summers and cold winters are not friends to any battery type, lithium batteries included.
Most outdoors LED solar post lights come with replaceable batteries, allowing the user to replace the batteries when they lose capacity below the required level.
Mounting hardware usually includes mounting bracket(s), arm(s) and screws, required to firmly mount the solar post light.
Usually, mounting hardware feature all that users need to mount the lights properly, but in certain situations having a hardware store nearby is a great thing - or You can order additional required parts from online shops, of course.
Additional features of outdoors LED solar post lights include:
- post/pole: post is not always included. In fact, most outdoors LED solar post lights come with a mounting arm and bracket, assuming that the user already has posts, walls, or fences where the lights will be mounted.
Post can be of strong and durable plastic, which can come at a very acceptable price. On the other hand, aluminum posts can be very decorative, but they can also be much more expensive than simple PVC posts/poles.
- waterproof/dustproof: outdoors lights must be waterproof and dustproof, with the recommended minimum level of protection of IP65 - such units may be mounted and left outdoors in any weather conditions all year round.
- remote control allows the user to set the desired/required mode of operation, for example, automatic mode (from "dusk to dawn"), motion sensor activated lights mode, to increase or decrease the light, and similar. Not all solar lights come with all these features, of course.
- with planter: outdoors LED solar post lights that come with their own posts, may also come with a planter that is mounted at the bottom of the post or along the post using mounting hooks. Such planters may be very decorative, just be sure that they are firmly mounted, to avoid any possible damage due to the strong winds.
- motion sensors can come very handy for areas where extra lighting should be avoided, except when absolutely needed - when an object, animal, or human enters the perimeter of the sensor, lights are automatically turned on and after some time of inactivity, they are also automatically turned off, decreasing the light pollution and saving the battery charge.
Long Story Short: Outdoors LED solar post lights can come very handy in many situations, keeping the electric bills in check.
Solar post lights can be used for both commercial applications and residential use, including the lighting of the streets, doorways, pathways, gardens, fences, etc.
When mounting solar lights, always be sure to mount them according to the recommendations by their manufacturers. Failing to do so may cause the lights to not operate properly and even to cause damage, injuries, or worse ...