Pick the Best 1000 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) Marine Battery
Marine batteries are designed to operate in tough conditions due to vibrations and other mechanical stress, they must be able to power various electric and electronic devices and when the main engine must be started, they must be able to provide large currents in order to start large, often multiple gasoline or even diesel engines even when not fully charged. Such requirements significantly reduce the number of potential 1000 CCA marine battery models.
CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), CA (Cranking Amps) or MCA (Marine Cranking Amps) and HCA (Hot Cranking Amps) define the maximum current that a battery is able to provide under certain conditions:
- CCA (Cold Cranking Amps): maximum current that a new, fully charged, 12V battery can deliver for 30 seconds, with the voltage NOT dropping below 7.2V, at 0°F (-18°C).
- CA (Cranking Amps) or MCA (Marine Cranking Amps): maximum current that a new, fully charged, 12V battery can deliver for 30 seconds, with the voltage NOT dropping below 7.2V at 32°F (0°C).
- HCA (Hot Cranking Amps): maximum current that a new, fully charged, 12V battery can deliver for 30 seconds, with the voltage NOT dropping below 7.2V, at 80°F (27°C).
If you are looking for a lead-acid battery that has only the CCA rating, and you want to know it's MCA or HCA value, it is good to know that CCA, CA/MCA and HCA are approximately related:
CCA = HCA X 0.60 = MCA x 0.80
HCA = CCA x 1.66 = MCA x 1.33
MCA = CCA x 1.25 = HCA x 0.75
Note: we emphasize 'approximately'! Just to be sure, always check official specifications. Also, note that these values are given for both NEW and FULLY CHARGED battery - not the battery that has seen 1-2 summer/winter seasons and has powered for example, the fridge all night long in an RV or a boat or ...
For more details and explanations about these values, please check our Battery Terms and Abbreviations - Glossary article.
The following table lists the most popular AGM car, truck, RV and marine 1000 CCA/MCA/HCA batteries, with their most important features:
|Model||Battery Type||Goup Size||Ah||CCA||RC||Weight (lbs/kg)|
|ACDelco 49AGM||Dual Purpose||49||95||900||160||-|
|Bosch S6588B S6||Dual Purpose||49||92||850||160||-|
|DieHard 38217||Deep Cycle||49||92||850||170||58.5 lbs; 26.5 kg|
|Exide XMC-31||Deep Cycle||31||100||925||200||68 lbs; 30.8 kg|
|NorthStar NSB-AGM27M||Dual Purpose||27||92||930||195||68 lbs; 30.8 kg|
|NorthStar NSB-AGM31M||Dual Purpose||31||103||1150||220||75 lbs; 34.0 kg|
|Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M||Dual Purpose||31||100||1150||205||77.8 lbs; 35.3 kg|
|Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST||Dual Purpose||34||68||850||135||49.5 lbs; 22.4 kg|
|Odyssey PC1800-FT||Deep Cycle||-||214||1300||475||132.3 lbs; 60.0 kg|
|Odyssey PC2250||Dual Purpose||-||126||1225||240||86.0 lbs; 39.0 kg|
|Optima 8002-002 34||Starting||34||50||800||100||37.9 lbs; 17.2 kg|
|Optima 8006-006 34M||Starting||34||50||800||100||38.4 lbs; 17.4 kg|
|Optima 8027-127 D27M||Dual Purpose||27||66||800||140||54 lbs; 24.5 kg|
|Optima 8037-127 D27F||Dual Purpose||27||66||830||140||53.2 lbs; 24.1 kg|
|Optima 8052-161 D31M||Dual Purpose||31||75||900||155||59.8 lbs; 27.1 kg|
|Vmaxtanks VMAX MR197||Deep Cycle||4D||200||1120||450||112 lbs; 50.7 kg|
|Vmaxtanks VMAX XTR4D-200||Deep Cycle||4D||200||1250||470||130 lbs; 58.9 kg|
|Vmaxtanks VMAX XTR8D-350||Deep Cycle||8D||350||1700||780||185 lbs; 83.8 kg|
Note: Amazon affiliate links in the table open in the new windows, feel free to check them for the latest offers.
Some manufacturers also state so-called PHCA value for their batteries. PHCA stands for 'Pulse Hot Cranking Amps' and is the maximum safe current that a battery can provide for 3 seconds, at 80°F (27°C). PHCA value is approximately 2-2.5x larger than CCA for most AGM batteries - this explains why starting batteries and even some dual purpose batteries in 50-70 Ah range can easily start gasoline and even diesel engines requiring 1000 CCA batteries.
However, to avoid unpleasant situations (to say the least), go for more powerful batteries with reserve in capacity and CCA - better safe than sorry.
Note on lithium batteries: Lithium batteries offer great savings in weight and although they are initially more expensive, they tolerate far greater number of charging/discharging cycles than lead-acid batteries and are thus in the long run, cheaper.
Since lithium batteries are sensitive to various charging and discharging conditions, they come with protective electronics, especially lithium 'drop-in' lead-acid battery replacements. However, such batteries often have limited output currents, and lithium batteries with CCA currents in the 1000 Amps range are rare and expensive.
- Battle Born 100 Ah LiFePO4 12 volt Deep Cycle Battery is designed as 'drop-in' replacement for AGM SLA batteries. Its nominal capacity is 100 Ah, and is able to provide 100 Amps continuously. Also, it can provide 200 Amps for 30 seconds.
This is excellent and lightweight deep cycle battery, great as RV house or trolling motor battery, but not very good as starting battery.
For more details, check Battle Born 100 Ah LiFePO4 12 volt Deep Cycle Battery Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
- ProLED 65D23L is automotive replacement LiFePO4 battery. Its nominal capacity is 65 Ah and it features required 1200 CCA rating. Also, there are some models of similar batteries with built-in jump starter, allowing these batteries to be used as starting batteries for much larger engines - 2000+ CCAs.
But, such performances come with the price - literary. However, such batteries can withstand at least 2000 cycles and in the long run, they are not that expensive. On a contrary.
For more details, check ProLED 65D23L 65Ah 1200 CCA LiFePO4 Battery Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Personally, AGM batteries are tested and proven technology and my personal choice for 1000 CCA marine battery - that is the reason why there are no lithium batteries or lead-acid wet cell batteries in the list.
Starting vs. Dual Purpose vs. Deep Cycle AGM Batteries
Starting or cranking batteries are designed for providing large currents for short periods of time and as such are not good for deep cycle operations. In fact, when being drained regularly down to 20-30% of their capacity, their operating life can be shortened significantly.
However, 50-70 Ah starting batteries often have CCA values in the 800-1000 range and they are much lighter than dual purpose or deep cycle AGM batteries with similar CCA values. However, their RC values are low, but after all these batteries are not even designed for such use.
Dual purpose batteries are designed to be used as both deep cycle batteries and as starting batteries. Obviously, as starting batteries they are not as good as specialized starting batteries and as deep cycle batteries, they are not as good as deep cycle batteries. However, for boats, yachts, cars, trucks, RVs etc. applications featuring single battery (or battery pack) electric system, dual purpose batteries are recommended choice.
Good 75-100 Ah dual purpose batteries can provide 800-1000 CCAs, while 100-125 Ah dual batteries often can easily provide required 1000 CCAs.
Deep cycle batteries are designed for regular deep discharge operations and as starting batteries they are not as good as dual purpose batteries. When compared with specialized starting batteries, their starting performances are really something left to desire. But, after all, that is not what they are designed for.
Deep cycle batteries with capacities of 200 Ah or more are generally able to provide required 1000 CCAs.
- Starting batteries in 60-70 Ah range can provide 1000 CCAs, while 50-60 Ah batteries can provide ~800 CCAs,
- Dual purpose batteries in 100-125 Ah range can provide 1000 CCAs, while 75-100 Ah batteries can provide 800-1000 CCAs,
- Deep cycle batteries with capacity of 200 Ah or more can provide 1000 CCAs.
Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M - The Best 1000 CCA Marine Battery
With many very good batteries on the market, choosing the best 1000 CCA marine battery was actually easier task than we though it would be.
Few batteries come close to being the best:
- ACDelco 49AGM is 95 Ah battery with 900 CCA rating and 160 RC rating. It is dual purpose battery, with excellent reviews, but it is not quite 1000 CCA marine battery.
- Exide XMC-31 is 100 Ah battery with 925 CCA rating and excellent 200 RC rating. It is often considered as deep cycle battery, but it is also excellent dual purpose battery. Again, it is not true 1000 CCA marine battery, but IMHO, it is second best battery in the list. However, it is not always available on Amazon.
- Odyssey PC1800-FT is large 214 Ah deep cycle battery. Its CCA rating is 1300 and RC value is impressive 475 minutes. Also, it is very heavy battery. It should be used as deep cycle battery or as dual purpose batteries requiring strong starting battery and extra large capacity for of-the-grid applications.
- Odyssey PC2250 is 126 Ah battery with 1225 CCA rating and 240 RC value. It is heavy duty battery designed to withstand almost anything one can request from AGM battery. However, it is also slightly heavier battery (it is almost 20 pounds heavier than Exide XMC-31 battery) and it comes with nice price tag. Personally, third best battery in the list.
- Vmaxtanks VMAX MR197, XTR4D-200 and XTR8D-350 are large deep cycle marine batteries with capacities of 200 Ah, 200 Ah and 350 Ah, CCA ratings 1120, 1250 and 1700(!) Amps and RC ratings 450, 470 and 780(!) minutes, respectively.
All three batteries can be used as 1000+ CCA marine starting batteries, but they are designed to be used as deep cycle batteries.
In our opinion, Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M is the best 1000 CCA marine battery. It is not the strongest battery in terms of CCAs, it doesn't have the best RC value and certainly it doesn't have the largest capacity. But, it is the best balanced design, offering 1150 CCAs and 205 RC (minutes), from 100 Ah (20h) SLA AGM battery.
NorthStar NSB-AGM31M battery has even better electrical characteristics than Odyssey 31M-PC2150 battery. But due to better extra cold performances of the Odyssey 31M-PC2150 battery, Author's pick is Odyssey 31M-PC2150 battery.
Note: Both batteries are excellent batteries and it is really hard to pick among these two models. For more about them, check our Odyssey 31M-PC2150 AGM Marine Dual Purpose Battery and Group 31 Batteries - Dimensions, Features and Recommendations articles.
Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M is not a cheap battery, but what you pay is what you get - strong, reliable and vibration resistant battery that tolerate up to 400 discharging cycles down to 20% discharge, can be fully recharged in 4-6 hours, comes with limited 3 and 4 year warranty and have service life of 3-10 years, depending on the use.