EGO Power+ PST3040/PST3041/PST3042 2000W/3000W Nexus Portable Power Station
EGO Power+ PST3040/PST3041/PST3042 2000W/3000W Nexus Portable Power Station is a large, powerful, and configurable high-output power station that may come very useful in many situations, including emergencies, job sites, camping, tailgating, and similar.
With the maximum of 2000 continuous output watts and the maximum of 3000 peek watts, EGO Power+ PST3040/PST3041/PST3042 2000W/3000W Nexus Portable Power Station offers the users a power source that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Published: March 17, 2021.
EGO Power+ PST3040/PST3041/PST3042 2000W/3000W Nexus Portable Power Station Features and Specifications
EGO Power+ PST3040 Nexus is based on the Ego POWER+ 56V lithium batteries and features four independent slots for four batteries.
EGO Power+ PST3040 Nexus works with 1, 2, 3, or 4 Ego POWER+ batteries of any size, in any combination, however, due to the ways the unit utilizes and charges batteries, it is recommended to use at least two or more batteries of the same size - at least two 56V 5.0Ah batteries.
Although it is an excellent power station, the Ego POWER+ Nexus power station cannot be used as a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Source) - unit features two basic modes of operation: charging and discharging.
In the charging mode, the unit is connected to the Ego POWER+ CH1700 battery charger and charges the battery or batteries. In the charging mode, the unit does NOT supply power to the output ports.
In the discharging mode, the unit discharges the battery (or batteries) and supplies the power to the output ports.
EGO Power+ Nexus power station is offered as:
- EGO Power+ PST3040 Nexus: power station with no batteries,
- EGO Power+ PST3041 Nexus: power station with four Ego POWER+ BA2800T 56V 5.0 Ah batteries, with a total capacity of 1120 Wh,
- EGO Power+ PST3042 Nexus: power station with two Ego POWER+ BA2800T 56V 7.5 Ah batteries, with a total capacity of 840 Wh.
The runtime of the Ego POWER+ Nexus power station depends on the number and the size of the batteries connected and the actual load.
|4x 7.5 Ah (1680 Wh)
|4x 5.0 Ah (1120 Wh)
|2x 7.5 Ah (840 Wh)
|2x 5.0 Ah (560 Wh)
|60W LED Light, 80W 40" LED TV, 6W WiFi Router
|80W 40" LED TV
|1000W Electric Load
The energy efficiency of the Ego POWER+ Nexus power station varies between 75-78% when powering AC devices, which is very good efficiency considering that the unit also uses energy from the batteries for all other functions.
Obviously, the price of the Nexus power stations depends on the batteries included.
Ego POWER+ batteries are cheaper when they are purchased as part of a tool/power station kit - it is good to know that all Ego POWER+ 56V tools and devices are compatible with all Ego POWER+ 56V batteries.
If You already have Ego POWER+ batteries, the Ego POWER+ Nexus power station can come rather cheap. However, Ego POWER+ Nexus power station models PST3041 and PST3042 come with batteries that may also be used for other Ego POWER+ tools that can come rather cheap when purchased as 'tool only' models.
Ego POWER+ Nexus features physical dimensions of 18.33 x 13.26 x 14.51 inches (~46.6 x 33.7 x 36.9 cm) and it weighs 30.2 pounds (~13.7 kg) without batteries. Also, the unit is advertised as being able to provide continuously 2000W and 3000W for up to 3 seconds.
However, maximum output power depends on the number and size of the batteries and can be 600W, 1200W, and 2000W.
For example, when using two Ego POWER+ BA1400T (56V 2.5Ah) batteries, power is limited to 1200W.
But, the unit features a very advanced control panel allowing the user to see the unit's status at the moment's notice.
And best of all, Ego POWER+ Nexus features remote connectivity via both WiFi and Bluetooth allowing the user to check the unit's condition using Ego POWER+ App.
Ego POWER+ Nexus features three 120V AC output ports and 4 USB 5.0 2.1A ports (each port is capable of providing 2.1 Amps).
The Control panel also includes:
- LCD Screen which displays the status of the power station,
- Power and Reset button,
- WiFi/Bluetooth Setting Button used to configure WiFi/Bluetooth connection and indicate configuration status.
- Output Indicator which shows that the power station is in the discharging process when the AC/USB button is switched on,
- Charging Indicator which shows that the power station is in the charging process,
- Charge Complete Indicator shows that the battery charging is completed,
- Actual Output Power Indicator signals the actual output power when the load is connected to the output port,
- Rated Power Indicator (600W, 1200W, 2000W) shows the maximum continuous output power depending on the attached battery(s),
- Peak Power Indicator (3000W) signals that the output power is between 2000W and 3000W. If this condition lasts longer than 3 seconds, the unit will disconnect the load and the user will have to manually reset the unit,
- Overload Indicator shows that the unit was overloaded and has to be reset properly,
- Low-power Indicator signals that the available battery charge is 10% or less of the rated total battery charge during discharging,
- Warning Indicator signals when there is a problem with the power station and that it cannot work properly,
- Battery Indicator Area shows the condition, remaining charge, and the position of the connected batteries,
- Over-heat Icon signals that the Nexus power station is overheated and that the system will shut down,
- WiFi Icon signals when the Nexus power station is connected to a WiFi network,
- Bluetooth Icon signals when the Nexus power station is connected to a cell phone via Bluetooth,
- USB/AC Icon shows that the USB/AC port has been turned on,
- Countdown Timer indicates the remaining time of the charging or the discharging process.
Note: Ego POWER+ Nexus power station is a multifunction device and at first, its use seems complicated, but it is not - the unit is very intuitive and easy to use. However, when the unit arrives, be sure to thoroughly read the manual/Owner's Guide and to get accustomed to your new unit. It is an excellent power station when used and maintained properly.
How to Charge Ego POWER+ Nexus Batteries?
Ego POWER+ Nexus comes by default with the Ego POWER+ CH1700 battery charger that is rated at 170 watts.
Ego POWER+ CH1700 battery charger is a reliable battery charger designed for Ego POWER+ 56V lithium batteries/Ego POWER+ Nexus, but it is, IMHO, too weak for charging larger battery packs.
If the battery pack consists of, for example, four 56V 5.0Ah batteries, CH1700 battery charger will need at least 7-8 hours to fully recharge them - in situations when the mains power is unreliable and when one needs to recharge the batteries as soon as possible, 7 hours are simply too long. Again, IMHO of course.
Also, another 'problem' with the Ego POWER+ Nexus power station is that it doesn't feature a 12V charging port nor a solar panel charging port.
While the car cigarette lighter adapter port has a limit of ~10 Amps (~120W) and is generally even weaker than the Ego POWER+ CH1700 battery charger, such port would allow the user to at least partially recharge the Ego POWER+ Nexus during power outages.
Solar panel charging port would be a nice one to have - hopefully it will be added in the future models since a single 200W solar panel can recharge 4x 56V 5.0Ah (1120 Wh) batteries during the daylight even if the charging conditions are not optimal.
Of course, one may have a solar panel combined with an MPPT controller, deep cycle battery, and the power inverter and use such setup to recharge the Ego POWER+ Nexus using its CH1700 battery charger.
On the other hand, Ego manufactures several faster battery chargers which are given in the following comparison chart:
While Ego POWER+ CH2100 Standard Charger is cheap, reliable, and faster than CH1700 battery charger, it is IMHO still slow - if You have four Ego POWER+ 56V 5.0Ah BA2800T batteries, single CH2100 battery charger will need almost 7 hours to recharge them all.
But, if You have four CH2100 battery chargers, they may recharge four BA2800T batteries in 100 minutes, requiring 840 watts of power.
On the other hand, Ego POWER+ CH2800D battery charger is a dual-port battery charger and can charge two batteries at the same time.
So, a single CH2800D battery charger can recharge four BA2800T batteries in less than 3 hours (80 minutes each pair).
Also, two such battery chargers may recharge four BA2800T batteries in 80 minutes, requiring ~1120 Watts of power.
Ego POWER+ CH5500 Rapid Battery Charger is a single-port battery charger rated at 550W.
One CH5500 battery charger may recharge four BA2800T batteries in less than three hours, while four such units can do it in 40(!) minutes, requiring ~2200W of power.
Even if You have larger 56V 7.5 Ah BA4200T batteries, CH5500 Rapid Battery Charger can recharge them safely in just 60 minutes.
But, all these features do come with a certain price - the stronger the battery charger and the more features it has, the higher the price.
If the periods of emergencies are prolonged, a quiet power generator may provide more than enough power to allow the user to recharge Ego POWER+ Nexus batteries.
Note: while Ego POWER+ Nexus can be used both indoors and outdoors (no rain or snow, of course), power generators MUST be used outside since they emit fumes that contain very dangerous Carbon Monoxide (CO).
Recommended Batteries for Ego POWER+ Nexus
As said before, although Ego POWER+ Nexus may operate using various combinations of different batteries, it is recommended to use batteries of the same size, preferably 5.0 Ah and 7.5 Ah batteries.
The following comparison chart lists some of the most popular Ego POWER+ batteries with their most important features:
As the batteries are added, Ego POWER+ Nexus weight increases:
- Ego POWER+ PST3040 Nexus: no batteries, 30.2 pounds (13.7 kg),
- Ego POWER+ PST3041 Nexus: 4x 56V 5.0 Ah BA2800T, ~50 pounds (~22.7 kg), for a total of 1120 Wh (~22.4 Wh/pound)
- Ego POWER+ PST3042 Nexus: 2x 56V 7.5 Ah BA4200T, ~43 pounds (~19.5 kg), for a total of 840 Wh (~19.5 Wh/pound),
- custom Ego POWER+ Nexus: 4x 56V 7.5 Ah BA4200T, ~55.8 pounds (~25.3 kg), for a total of 1680 Wh (~30.1 Wh/pound).
Of course, the larger the battery, the higher its price is.
Long Story Short: If You are looking for a powerful and configurable power station that features output power comparable with very popular 2000 Watts power generators, consider Ego POWER+ Nexus.
Its runtime and output power depends on the number and size of the used batteries, which are anything but cheap but can be used for other tools and devices, not just Nexus power station.
Fortunately, when the batteries are purchased with the Nexus (or any other Ego POWER+ tool kit), batteries themselves are cheaper.
Of course, the Ego POWER+ Nexus power station is not without limitations (it can't be used as UPS, no solar panel charging port, etc.), but in the end, it is a powerful and reliable power station that can come in handy in many situations, including in emergencies, for camping, on job sites, for tailgating, etc.