Honda EU2200i Portable Inverter Generator
Honda EU2200i is a very quiet and rather popular portable inverter generator, based on the Honda's previous EU2000 model.
Honda EU2200i comes with an improved and slightly stronger engine, rearranged, and somewhat redesigned components in order to provide a reliable, efficient, and simple to use and maintain portable generator, suitable for camping, in emergencies, and all other off-the-grid situations.
Honda EU2200i Features and Specifications
Honda EU2200i is powered by a 121 cc Honda GXR120 gas engine, ensuring 2200 starting watts and 1800 running watts.
Gas tank capacity is 0.95 gallons (~3.6 liters), which is enough fuel for 3.2 hours at rated power or 8.1 hours at 25% load.
Despite being somewhat 10% stronger than the older EU2000 model, EU2200i model is very quiet during operation - noise level is 57dB at rated power and only 48 dB at 25% load.
Such levels of noise make this model one of the most popular choices for people needing not only a reliable power source but also a quiet one.
Physical dimensions of the unit are (L x W x H) 20.0 x 11.4 x 16.7 inches (~51 x 29 x 42.5 cm) and it weighs 46.5 pounds (~21.5 kg) with an empty gas tank.
Thanks to its dimensions and weight, Honda EU2200i can be carried to the shorter distances more or less easily via a built-in carrying handle.
Power outlets (receptacles) include 20A 120V Duplex AC ports and 12V 100W (8.3A) DC port.
Note: DC port is unregulated and is intended for direct charging of lead-acid batteries and it is not suitable for sensitive 12V equipment.
Other features of Honda EU2200i include:
- Eco-Throttle System (Eco Mode) improves fuel efficiency, allowing the unit to operate longer on the single full tank. On the other hand, Honda EU2200i and other similar inverter generators don't increase output power quickly enough for certain types of loads.
- Oil Alert LED alarms the user about low oil level. In order to protect the engine, if the oil level drops below a certain level, the engine shuts off automatically. Additional safety features include automatic 110V AC and 12V DC fuses.
- Overload Alarm LED alerts the user about overload conditions, requiring the user to decrease the load. If the generator is often overloaded, it may damage the generator. If the generator is marginally overloaded from time to time, it may shorten the service life of the generator - for short, try not to overload your generators in general, not just Honda EU2200i.
- Output Indicator LED signals that the unit is operating normally. Also, the Output Indicator operates as a simple hour-meter - when the engine starts, it blinks according to the engine's cumulative hours: no blinks - 0-100 hours, 1 blink - 100-200 hours, 2 blink - 200-300 hours, 3 blink - 300-400 hours, 4 blink - 400-500 hours, 5 blink - more than 500 hours.
- Parallel Ready: Honda EU2200i is a parallel ready inverter generator - it is possible to connect two Honda EU2200i (or any other compatible Honda generator) with parallel connection cables in order to increase the output power.
Note: Honda EU2200i generator is very simple to use and maintain a portable inverter generator, but, when it arrives, be sure to read thoroughly Owner's Manual before the very first use - inverter generators are not toys and if misused can be rather hazardous.
Honda manufactures several very similar models, one of them being Honda 2200IC, with 'C' standing for 'Companion'.
The main difference between Honda EU2200i and Honda EU2200IC is that Honda EU2200IC doesn't feature 12V DC output, but it comes with one standard 120V AC outlet and one 120V 30 Amps outlet for RV applications.
And since both Honda EU2200i and Honda EU2200IC are parallel ready (and compatible), it is possible to connect them in parallel and to achieve required 30 Amps output.
How to Start and Stop Honda EU2200i Generator?
Honda EU2200i doesn't feature an electric starter, which is after all quite uncommon in inverter generators in this class.
Engine start is manual and when the generator is maintained according to the Owner's Manual, it is rather easy to start the Honda GXR120 engine.
However, when shutting the engine off, it is very important to shut it off properly - if the engine is stopped for a short period of time, turn the engine switch directly to 'Off'. But, if the engine is going to be turned off for a longer period of time, set the engine switch to 'Fuel Off' settings - this setting stops the fuel flow toward the engine, but the engine's ignition system still works. When all of the remaining fuel is used, the engine stops on its own.
This setting can significantly help with the engine starting next time the user wishes to use the Honda EU2200i generator.
Again: this and other procedures are explained in much greater detail in the Owner's Manual - read it thoroughly and keep close to read it again if required. Seriously.
Long Story Short: If You are looking for a sturdy and reliable inverter generator in the 2000W class, and you don't mind paying somewhat extra more money, consider Honda EU2200i.
After all, it comes with both a 3-year residential and 3-year commercial warranty.
For most up-to-date offers and prices, feel free to check Honda EU2200i Portable Inverter Generator and Honda EU2200IC Companion Portable Inverter Generator Amazon links (links open in the new window).